The importance of high level business concepts, like strategic management, corporate responsibility and marketing, are examined in the context of the forest products industry.
After viewing this presentation and relevant support material, users should be able to:
- Describe the breadth of forest products and services that are in existence.
- Detail the fundamentals of marketing and explain why it is a vital business activity.
- Define what a business is, and what a business does.
- Define ‘strategy’ and explain its importance.
- Describe and analyze the growing importance of corporate responsibility within a forestry context.
For information about Dr. Kozak, please check UBC, Faculty of Forestry
In this lecture, Dr. Kozak explores three key components of business management — strategic management, marketing and corporate responsibility — in relation to forests and the vast variety of goods and services that they produce.
- Any introductory marketing text
- Vidal, N.G. and R.A. Kozak (2008) Corporate Responsibility Practices in the Forestry Sector: Definitions and the Role of Context. Journal of Corporate Citizenship 31(Autumn 2008):59-75.
- Kozak, R.A. (2005) Research and Resource Dependent Communities: A World of Possibilities. BC Journal of Ecosystems and Management 6(2):55-62.
Potential Questions for use by Instructors
- Select a forest product / service and devise a marketing plan for it.
- What are some of the strategic issues that forest products companies must deal with in China? Discuss the role of corporate responsibility in these companies.