Planning and modeling of the materials flow from the forest to final product helps maximize the total value generated. This module presents basic information about the forest products industry in Canada, explains supply chain management and forest products supply chain, and discusses issues and trends related to supply chain modeling.
After viewing this presentation and relevant support material, users should be able to:
- Describe the importance of the forest sector in Canada and BC.
- Identify the challenges of the forest sector in Canada and BC.
- Classify the main forest sectors in Canada.
- Explain the terms supply chain management and supply chain optimization.
- Identify the different chains within the forest products supply chain.
- Describe examples of different forest supply chain decisions made at different planning horizons.
- Describe models, their uses, general guidelines in developing them, and give examples of different
types of models.
- Explain the issues and trends in modeling of forest products supply chains.
For information about Dr. Sowlati, please check UBC, Faculty of Forestry
Introduction To Forest Products Supply Chain Management
In this lecture, Dr. Taraneh Sowlati discusses the importance of the forest products industry to Canada and British Columbia, and explores the complexity of supply chain management in this industrial sector.
- D’Amours S., Rönnqvist M. and Weintraub. 2008. Using Operational Research for supply chain planning in the forest product industry. Information Systems and Operational Research (INFOR), 46: 265-281.
- Dykstra, D.P. 1984. Mathematical Programming for Natural Resource Management. McGraw Hill Inc. USA.
- Weintraub, A., Romero, C., and Bjørndal, T. 2007. Handbook of Operations Research in Natural Resources. Springer.
- Weintraub, A. and Romero, C. 2006. Operations research models and the management of agricultural and forestry resources: a review and comparison. Interfaces, 36: 446-457.
Potential Questions for use by Instructors
- Why is it more difficult to develop models to manage and optimize forest products supply chains that other supply chains?
- Discuss four issues in developing the forest products supply chain models.
- What is the difference between the validation and verification of a model?
- Give an example of the types of decisions that take place at each level of the forest supply chain: strategic, operational and tactical.